Monday, September 22, 2008

Cooking

I've been looking for some new recipes recently as I'm getting a little tired of all our standard meals. Plus I need more quick meals since I don't have much time to cook. Generally, I cook dinner 5-6 nights a week, and one night we do something really basic like frozen pizza. Chris sometimes cooks a meal as well (like when he has a hamburger and I have a veggie burger, or when we have breakfast for dinner and he makes bacon). He also makes very tasty broccoli calzones, but those take a while so we only have them on the weekend. Oh and this weekend he made a lemon meringue pie.. that was good too.

When I say I "cook" that doesn't necessarily mean much; it could just be boiling ravioli & heating sauce and making a salad. But sometimes it's more complicated, like veggie Wellingtons (Chris's favorite vegetarian meal).

Chris doesn't like leftovers, and I can't really complain about that.. he eats anything I make, even though it's vegetarian. We both grew up with moms who were stay-at-home (though my mom did go back to work part time when I was older) and who cooked dinner every night, so we're used to that model.

But I found a way around the leftover problem! Did you know you can make twice as much, and FREEZE part of it? Wow! It only took me 36 years to learn this.

Anyway, two new things I've tried recently: spinach & mushroom in phyllo cups, and sausage-egg casserole.

The spinach & mushroom thing is from Vegan Lunch Box, but the original recipe uses tofu and phyllo you have to roll out, so I never tried it. But then I saw on her blog [can't link to the post; scroll down to "Greg's Great Greek Lunch"] that she used mushrooms in place of the tofu and used the pre-made cups (found in the frozen section) so I tried that and it worked well.

I decided to try some vegetarian sausage last week when we had breakfast for dinner, and it wasn't too bad. I wasn't a big sausage eater when I ate meat, either. Anyway Chris didn't like the plain sausage, but I thought I might be able to find a dish that used it in a less obvious way. I found this recipe on Epicurious and tried it out tonight and it was pretty good--I think we'll have it again! (I substituted veggie sausage for meat, of course, and added more sun-dried tomatoes, and used half-and-half instead of whipping cream).

That's the latest in our culinary adventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home